I was part of team formed by one product manager, one hardware engineer, two developers and one UX + industrial designer (myself).
I took part in all stages of the development from the conception to the final release including packaging and user manual
I drove the initial design exploration phase and then together with the team we decided on the direction to go. I was responsible of the industrial design of the product which also included the silkscreen design.
The scope was to create a new DJ midi controller from scratch in a multifunctional and globally spread team.
The people involved were from different parts of the globe with different time zones and required a considerable communication effort.
This project was also an exercise of developing two products at the same time. Both of the products had a similar design but different feature sets. One of them had an incorporated sound-card while the other did not.
Areas of the development of which I was responsible:
- created several product design proposals (the final design was chosen by the Mixvibes team)
- designed the completely new jog wheel design different from other designs on the market
- created technical drawings and 3D files for the manufacturer
- designed technical schemes for the user manual and packaging
- provided the files for the silkscreen process (the text printed on the device itself)
- contributed with product visualization through the entire duration of the development process
- created product renderings for marketing (web, print and packaging)
Notable personal contributions and solutions:
- V-shaped EQ to accommodate the small size of the device and make space for the load and browse buttons
- handles molded directly in the case for better ease of use
- optimization of the jog wheel size
- reduction of the device height by realigning the internal components resulting in less material and lower weight
- function assignment for knobs and buttons (ex: kill function for the equalizer)
- knobs design
Initial Design Exploration
The initial requirement was to create a completely new and original design. Here are just a small part of the initial design ideas that I explored.
The controller received the Mixmove Tech Award – “Best DJ Software” in 2011 for being the best DJ Controller under 600€.